Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Sauteed Pineapple Shrimp with Mango Salsa

Sauteed Pineapple Shrimp with Mango Salsa 

Much like the famed "Mary" there is just something about shrimp. Growing up in the Gulf region (Gulf of Mexico)  I have been privy to having access to some of the most delicious seafood you would ever want to try, the bounty of options that come from local waters here is enough to make a grown chef cry. My favorite by far are the Gulf shrimp, they are tender, flavorful, with a very slight natural sweetness that under the right circumstances could reduce you to tears at their perfection. With that being said it is easy to see why sometimes I simply just crave shrimp; and any ole shrimp won't do, it must be fresh caught Gulf shrimp. The day I prepared this meal was a day where I woke up with shrimp on the brain and I wouldn't be happy until I had the. I'm sure you didn't click the like to hear me wax poetic about shrimp, so I'll stop my yammering and get to the food.

Sauteed Pineapple Shrimp with Mango Salsa 







 Ingredients:


1 Pound of shrimp (peeled, deveined, tail on)
2 Cloves of garlic
¼ of a cup of pineapple juice  
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
1 Mango (peeled and diced)
1 Half of a red onion (diced)
1 Jalapeño pepper (diced and deseeded)
3 Tablespoons of chopped cilantro
Plantain 
Salt
Pepper
Crushed red pepper flake (for spice)

Directions:

1.     In a bowl combine the diced red onion, diced mango, diced jalapeno, 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro, and two tablespoons of lime juice. Cover and put into fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving.

Close -up of the mango salsa on my plate

2.     In a bowl combine shrimp, pineapple juice, and season with salt, pepper, and dash of red pepper flake. Let marinate for 15 minutes

3.     Add two table spoons of olive oil to pan warm over medium heat.

4.      Add garlic to oil, cooking until garlic is softened

5.     Add shrimp to pan, place them one at a time, be sure to reserve the liquid that the shrimp marinated in. (you will use it later to make sauce) cook shrimp for about one minute on each side.

6.      Pour the remaining liquid from the marinade into the pan with shrimp, continue to cook until flavors combine, the liquid reduces into a slightly thicker sauce, and the shrimp are completely cooked. Garnish with cilantro, give it twist of fresh lime juice. Serve immediately.
 
Shrimp in pan after sauce reduced

Here is a close up of the entire plated meal, I served the shrimp and salsa with wild rice and plantains. 
Another angle of the plate.

Here is a picture of the plantains, it was my first time frying them, they came out surprisingly well and really simple to prepare. Sliced them and fry the. I just googled frying plantains.



This meal was easy to prepare and most importantly it satisfied my shrimp craving. I was also able to try something new by adding the plantains to the mix which is always fun to do in the kitchen. Are there any foods that you crave? When you crave food do you usually go out to get it or try to prepare it at home? Comment below. Don't forget to subscribe to get all new post sent directly to your email. 

xx. Toya 
























No comments:

Post a Comment