Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Salt & Pepper Chicken (Homemade Takeout)


Salt & Pepper Chicken


You may have noticed a recurring theme on the blog I love Asian inspired dishes and I also love to make my own versions of things I've had in restaurants or as takeout at home. Today’s post will be in the same tradition.  I was making some shrimp fried rice and I had some chicken breast on hand. In the past I have made Chicken & Broccoli, Honey Chicken, and Sweet and Sour Chicken at home, wanting to try something different I thought I would try Salt & Pepper Chicken. Well I’m sure you didn't come here for me to go on and on about the types of chicken dishes I have prepared so I will get to the main attraction… the food.



Ingredients
3 Chicken breast  (cut into bite sized chucks)
1 Half of a yellow onion (diced)
1Half of a red pepper (diced)
1 Half of green pepper (diced)
3 Cloves of garlic (minced)
2 eggs (for egg wash)
4 Stalks of green onion (sliced)

1 cup of All-purpose flour (for batter)
Salt
Pepper
Soy Sauce
Sesame Oil
Vegetable oil (enough for frying)

Directions

1.     Preheat your vegetable oil over medium high heat to about 350 degrees.

2.     Diced your chicken breast into bite sized pieces. Season those chicken pieces, set aside.

3.     Prepare your egg wash, using two eggs and ½ cup of milk, whisk together until fully blended. (I usually add a little salt and pepper to this mixture just to ensure the dish is seasoned throughout.)

4.     Pour your egg-wash  mixture  over your chicken and set aside to marinate.


5.     Prepare your flour for batter; pour you 2 cups of all-purpose flour into a bowl or bag. ( cook’s choice)  Once you have prepared your flour mixture, begin coating the chicken pieces in the flour mixture a few pieces at a time.

6.     Fry the chicken piece in the vegetable oil until golden brown. Once golden brown remove the chicken from the oil and drain the excess oil by placing the chicken on paper towels. Fry the remainder of the chicken, and then set aside.

7.     Preheat your frying pan or wok with 2 -3 tablespoons of vegetable oil.

8.     Add in your onions, garlic and peppers, cook for 3-4 minutes, and then add your chicken.
My diced veggies.

My diced veggies.



9.     Continue stir-frying chicken for another 4-5 minutes add in your soy sauce (to taste), sesame oil (about two caps full) and two tablespoons of honey. Continue stir-frying until chicken is thoroughly mixed.  Serve immediately.

Close up of the chicken in the wok.

Close up of the chicken on the plate.

Here is a shot of the entire meal plated. Yummers 

Look at that color.


This dish came together really nicely. I tried to recreate it from memory; I added the honey at the last minute because when I tasted the chicken it was missing something. The addition of the honey gave it a beautiful glazed look, and added a touch of sweetness which I enjoyed.  Have you ever tried to recreate a dish from memory? Do you sometime find yourself adding things to your dishes that are included in the original recipe?  Comment below.


No comments:

Post a Comment