Tuesday, December 16, 2014

That Fish Stew...

That Fish Stew...


I was going to title this post lonely girl's fish stew but then I decided against it. Have you ever seen a bag or a pair or shoes and exclaimed "that bag though!" or "those shoes though!" Well in my part of the world it is rather common to express your delight with something by adding a "though" when describing it. It is sort of like saying the thing you are describing takes the cake or is really nice. Any-who i'm sure you didn't click this link to read a post where go on and on about regional colloquialisms, I'll get to the thing you came here for the food.  


Tilapia Fish Stew


Tilapia Fish Stew over brown rice.



Ingredients

3 Pieces of Tilapia (cut into bite sized pieces) 

4 Red potatoes (cut into bite sized pieces)   

1 Half of a diced yellow onion

1 Half of a diced green pepper

3 Cloves of garlic diced

1 Can of diced tomatoes( around 8- 12 ounces would do) 

3 Cups of hot water 

1 Cube of bouillon (cook's choice on type, feel free to use broth instead) 

Dried Herbs: Thyme, Rosemary, Oregano

Olive oil

Cooked Brown Rice

Directions

  1. In a medium pot heat two tablespoons of olive oil. Once the oil is heated add your onions, pepper, and garlic, stirring repeatedly cook until softened.
  2. To this pot add your three coups of hot water, or your stock, 1 cube of bouillon ( if you use stock don't add the bouillon), add your diced potatoes, add your diced tomatoes , your dried herbs, season with salt and pepper,(I'm in Louisiana so we put Cajun seasons on almost everything) I usually add a couple shakes of Cajun seasoning for good measure. Cook on a medium- low heat for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally so the stew won't stick.  
  3. When the potatoes are just about done maybe ten minutes before you turn your stew off add your tilapia. Allow the stew to simmer until the fish is thoroughly cooked and flaky.
* I served my stew over brown rice, because that's how I roll, but feel free to have it own its own, or with some crusty bread and a nice white wine that would be as the French say " C'est Magnifique" 
The flavor of this stew was so bold and delicious, that when I tasted it I exclaimed "That Fish Stew Though...lol"

Check out those beautifully flecks of crushed red pepper
One more picture for good measure.





I mentioned that I was going to titled this post "Lonely Girl's Fish Stew" the reason being is that I was at home by myself on a cold Saturday when I got the idea for this recipe, but the taste of the stew deserved a much better name than that. I find that when I'm alone at home or when I'm cooking just for me I'm much more creative with my meals. I know some people who live alone say that they don't cook because it's just them at home. I think that the perfect time to be adventurous with food, if it comes out bad there is no one there to taste it and if it comes out good you get to eat it all by yourself, basically a win-win.  How do you feel about cooking for one or two? Comment below.  









No comments:

Post a Comment