Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Hot Sandwich for a Cold Day (Italian Inspired Beef Dip Sandwich)

 Hot Sandwich for a Cold Day ( Italian Inspired Beef Dip Sandwich) 

Ok say this post is about a marvelous sandwich that I had the pleasure of consuming on a cold Saturday Afternoon.  It pretty cold today by Louisiana’s standards at least so I’m creating a mental list of things I can eat that would warm me up so of course this sandwich is on the menu. The recipe is my take on a video that I watched on the Food Wishes channel on YouTube. Don’t you just love the title “Food Wishes” I don’t know about you but I frequently have food wishes. The recipe is for a hot beef sandwich that is made up of beef stew meat pieces that have been simmered until it falls apart, and then placed on hot crusty ciabatta bread, which I topped with aged Swiss cheese, and slathered in peppers and onions. Well I’m sure you didn’t click the link to hear me go on and on about being cold and eating sandwiches so I’ll get to what you came here for… the Food.

Ingredients
1 ½ Pounds of beef stew meat cut into chunks
1 Yellow onion (diced)
1 Green bell pepper (diced)
6 Cloves of garlic (diced
1 Tablespoon of each dried spice: Oregano, Thyme, Basil, and Rosemary
2 Bay leaves
2 Tablespoons of white vinegar (surprise, surprise)
2- 2/12 Cups of chicken broth ( Or use hot water and a bouillon cube, whichever you have on hand, you need enough liquid to cover the meat by an inch)
Crushed red pepper flakes (I put this on just about everything, love this stuff)
Black Pepper (to taste)
Salt (to taste)
4 crusty ciabatta rolls

Directions  
1)    Season your stew meat; I usually go with a basic blend of salt, pepper, Cajun seasoning, and Worcestershire sauce. I sit this aside on the counter to marinate for about 30 minutes. ( while this is marinating I chop my veggies)
2)    Preheat a large pot over medium-high heat; add to this pot your two table spoons of vegetable oil. When the pot is heated, add in your stew meat.
3)    Brown your stew meat until you get a nice bit of color on it, then toss in your vegetables, cook until your onions become clear.
4)    Once your meat is browned, you add all of your dry herbs, spices, white wine vinegar, and your broth.  Bring this mixture to a boil then turn down the heat and allow the post to simmer for about 1 -  1 ½ hours  or until fork tender.
5)    Once the meat is ready it’s time to build your sandwich. Warm your ciabatta rolls in the oven until warm and crunchy. (I put my Swiss cheese on my rolls before I put them into the oven that way my cheese was melted before I built my sandwich.
6)    When the bread is warmed, add your beef, top with some of the onions and peppers from the broth. Slice diagonally. Serve immediately with a cup or ramekin of the broth.  

The only picture I have for this post. This is the final plated dish. Nothing fancy I served  the sandwich with some Ore-ida fries, but boy this was delicious. 





     I mentioned before that this post was my take on a video that I watched on Youtube, I'll add the link to this post so that you can go and watch it. Chef John is awesome I love his sense of humor, and he always gives really simple useful tips in his videos. This meal was simple yet satisfying what more can you ask from a sandwich.  Are you a fan of Youtube? Who are some of your favorite Youtube personalities? Do you ever try out the things you see in the videos? Comment Below.

xx- Toya













No comments:

Post a Comment